Saturday, December 31, 2011

Top 10 Albums of 2011

Tis that time of year and I feel like without my iPod I've been way out of the loop. But there have been some gems along the way that I def can rank as all time favorites of the year. Just a reminder, my list is almost never limited to the current year, it represents what was new to me or relevent for the current times.

Danger Mouse & Danielle Luppi - Rome

 It's NOT just because Jack White was on here, this is like the soundtrack to my life this year. Amazing hands down best album of the year. Every song and interlude set up scenes perfectly and take you on a journey, which is intersting considering these two artists. Nora Jones and Jack are usually so poingient and personal and yet this album was so theatrical, it was an amazing feat set out by Danger Mouse and Danielle Luppi.

The Kills - Blood Pressures
Hella surprised me. This album was fun, intuitive, dark, crisp and new. I love Allison Mosshart. What I also loved about this album was it was less emo than the last few.

The Weeknd - House of Balloons

Probably walked into this with skewed perception. I'm not into the young R&B (Chris brown/Trey Songz types) I just can't. So I assumed... but then I heard High For This and was like, well... but... damn this is tight. And House of Ballons became my ish after that. It helped that he got cred for being a Canadian, I seem to favor them.




Charles Bradley - No Time For Dreaming 
He got soul. And 3 words: Menahan Street Band












Aloe Blacc - Good Things 

Whatever I'm late, but do I really need to explain? Aloe Blacc is like that guy you have been friends with for the past 9 years and all of a sudden you realize you're in love with him. That's how this album makes me feel.






Kid Cudi - All albums

Cudder is like the manifestation of my Afro-Partier angst. He rides that line between the hip guy at the white parties, and the White guy at the Black parties. He's the cool stoner who everyone want sto be friends with. Plus I saw him live in NYC this year, friggin AWESOME. Love that guy.




Martina Topley Bird - The Blue God

After finding out she is Tricky's ex girfriend (I dunno somehow that made me listen to her) I realized she is pretty amazing. I also FINALLY found out it was her on Sandpaper Kisses, which had bugged me for quite a while. I love her, she's a bit depressing and her albums show she wasn't fond of the breakup - but I was feelin her this year. She has a really sweet voice, definitely looking forward to hearing more from her.







Balkan Beat Box - Blue Eyed Black Boy

Isreli Brooklyn Reggae swag. This band is so perfectly executed it doesn't even make sense why they are not bigger than they are. their lyrical content is amazing (blue eyed black boy//war again) they are musically superior to most things you will hear. They have mastered control of their instruments, voices and message and most of all, they make you want to dance. I HELLA want to see them live.

Baiana System 

Found this band on a fluke. I click a lot of related video links on youtube. MAN this was a good one. It's like an experiemental samba infused dub/reggae band. Love them.














Los Rakas - Chancletas y Camisetas 

Duh. New EP slaps.










The XX - XX

This was one of thsoe things I wanted to ignore either, but I can't get around teh fact that jaimie love dubstep and how can I hate anyone who's ideology includes dubstep AND Gil Scott Heron! SO (prior to the GSH album) I love the downtempo on this album. I wish there were more romantic songs on here, but that's just the space I'm in. This is mostly lovst love also.

HipGnosis 
(no photos yet)
I got this music hella randomly. HipGnosis found me on twitter and was like I think you'll like this. I downloaded it. It was awesome. Eternally greatful.

Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross - The Social Network

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude The Social Network was the background sountrack to EVERYTHING this year. MAN this album is good. I know I listed it last year but seriously. SERIOUSLY. I didn't get over it. Nothing is out there that can replace it yet, including their latest Drgaon Tattoo soundtrack.






Junior Kimbrough - All Night Long

I just love him, he's a staple. His matter of fact way of singing the blues, the realness in his voice. His guitar is amazing, its the exact rythm I function at. I could listen to him for hours.











Mexicans with Guns - Ceremony

YES!!! I got this through a friend who sent it to me. I LOVE how grimey this is. And the title alone is why I even gave it a listen. Yes I just a book (album) by it's cover and I was right.

Miles Kane - I didn't want to like him more than Alex Turner, i felt like it was cheating on some level. And had I not been SO disappointed with Alex Turner this year I might still feel that way. Miles Kane is another one who has perfect control over his voice, and I like his story telling style of music making. He doesn't just put lyrics together on similar subjects, in general there's a story being told. Needs to work on his videos though, I volunteer myself.

Biggest disappointments
Alex Turner - Submarine - I have no idea what this was. Maybe something got lost in the translation across the pond. I know this was for a film  but it was very tame. Not what I expect from him. I need him angst back. Alex is my go to guy for raw unadultered young emotion. Almost a young Jack White. Almost. I did however find out there is a slave story about an Alex Turner. Random side note.

Arctic Monkeys - Suck It and See - meeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhh
NERD - exactly NOTHING
John Legend - rehash
Adele - rehash excpet for The Cure cover. It's like Transformers pt 3.
ok. I'm done.

No comments:

By: TwitterButtons.com
By TwitterButtons.com