Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Salman Ahmad - Rock & Roll Jihad

I love what the world is doing with rock. I've been reading Delta Blues by Ted Gioia, and he's giving me clear perspective on how Rock music emerged. I find it fascinating that it is doing the same thing all over the world now, giving a voice to the destitute and creating a call to arms for people of color. In West Africa what's known as Desert Blues is now evolving into Desert Rock, and it's BEAUTIFUL. They hold notes that are reminiscent of how blues started in the South, the long notes from the Muslim call to prayer and slightly nasally vocals. It's like Rock/Blues is coming full circle.

Listening to Salman Ahmad's new album (which I was stalking on twitter for the release date) has been no less than amazing and a walk through a landmine of electric guitar bliss. He has added to the growing diversity of what I would like to call Desert Rock, which includes other groups like Tinariwen and Tamikrest, developed by the sound of such greats as Ali Farka Toure. On it's own this album has a very uplifting feel, and has all the elements of American and British rock while at the same time inserting his Pakistani identity which creates something like a masterpiece. Buy this album and support the diversity of rock music.
Top tracks:
I am Because U R
Why
Sayonee

I think the title is so appropriate, because aren't we all on a bit of a Rock & Roll Jihad?

No comments:

By: TwitterButtons.com
By TwitterButtons.com