Monday, January 10, 2011

Fela Kuti - Teacher Don't teach Me No Nonsense

If I had to pick an origin of hip hop I would probably say it started in Nigeria with Fela Kuti. I learned about him when I was about 25 at a party, this guy randomly gave me a burned dvd of Music Is The Weapon and I SWEAR it changed my life.

Hip Hop's roots in Fela are stronger than anywhere else I can see in history. Fela had swag, stage presence, he was political while still being able to party, he had the governemnt attempting to kill him, he had an insatiable appetite for women, he always had like 100 people on stage and he could jam ALL night. He was one of histories most prolific musicians. So sad I didn't get to see the show in NY. I seriously don't know what I was doing that was more important. But alas it's going on the road and I will see it somewhere close by.

No comments:

By: TwitterButtons.com
By TwitterButtons.com