Thursday, May 05, 2011

Autotuning our way to understanding the wars

Bin Laden's got me thinking and I think I've got a pretty solid theory. You know how hip hop has always been the voice of the the political state of the world? You know how we've felt like other than Mos Def and Lupe Fiasco all the artists who have anything remotely interesting to say are all marginalized into the "Underground" category? What if I told you that autotune developed out of Arab style singing, and we embraced it as a way to understand our brothers during a time of conflict? Sure it wasn't intentional but it happened nevertheless.

I'm ambiguous when it comes to autotune, and when done right it's cool, when used instead of being able to sing I turn it off, but think about it. The thing that people like about it is the sudden changes and fluctuations in vocal notes that would have taken a long time (and skill) to learn. The only other forms of music I can think of that sound similar are Arab and Indian styles (I'm being specific there, but the tones and fluctuations (alternating pitch) are characteristic of the entire region).

Autotune seems to be able to blend the very old world with the very new very futuristic world. Along with these alternating nasal notes found in the Middle East (I don't have a better way to describe that area yet), it also sounds akin to a robot. What's most interesting about thinking of autotune in this way, is that it came about at a time that America went to war with this region. Would autotune dominate the airwaves if we had invaded Argentina? Tanzania? Mongolia? I argue no. I think autotune came about and became mainstreamed because the Middle East and all of their various cultures became mainstream. It was one of our ways we have digested their culture and incorporated it. There are other ways, like the mainstreaming of Islam, but none seem to come close as something that is culturally accepted.

Tag onto that theory that Arab music (and the exotification of Arabs/Persians/Indians) has also directly been incorporated into rap like in the song "Arab Money" by Bustah Rhymes. It's always interesting to watch how a group socializes something in order to deal with it on a daily basis, and attempt to understand what the "enemy" in this case is. In that sense, like it or not, autotune has helped us to understand our overseas brothers and sisters just a little bit better.

as an addendum, yes there have alway sbeen hip hop artists who appreciate this regions music, many of them are Muslim, or Asiaphiles, or just connoisseurs, ANd yes Songs that demonstrate this precede the war, like Addictive - Rakim, Truth Hurts & Dr. Dre. BUT The mainstreaming of this style did not happen until after the war(s)

Now you won't catch me saying that T-Pain is on par with Fairouz, but conceptually I think there is a lot shared. Anyway I had a 3 am epiphany about this and had to share. I'd love to know what you think.

Maybe I can find some better examples, but for now.



No comments:

By: TwitterButtons.com
By TwitterButtons.com