Sunday, December 19, 2010

Top 10 Albums of 2010

10. American Ghetto - Portugal. The Man. So there's this person on TPB who whatever he posts I download. I don't know how, but they get EVERYTHING indie right when it comes out. And that's how I discovered this band. Pretty experimental, pretty dope.


9. The XX - XX. Gotta say I slept on this. If it hadn't have been for my friend who sent it to me and PRESSURED me to give him a realistic critique I would have skipped it. THANK YOU BRIAN! This album is so amazingly subtle. Check it if you haven't.

8. Distant Relatives  - Nas & Damian Marley. This would be #2 minus Nas. I'm not hating I'm just saying he was dope but COMPLETELY outclassed by my boo Damian Marley. Just listen to Patience. With that said it was still an amazing effort and beautiful piece of work to be created and gets the top 10.

7. How I Got Over - The Roots. I don't need to explain this do I? Maybe why it's 7 and not one? I don't live in that circle where everything they touch is gold that's why. It was enteratining but only seriously 2 songs stuck with me, and even though they stuck like glue there were still only 2.

6. Do You Want Power - The Ettes. I know I'm cheating, this came out in '09 but I had never heard of them until I saw them on tour with The Dead Weather. AWESOME!!!! I LOVE them, one of the few very personable bands. Coco's voice and Poni's hair are enough to make anyone go see them. They are SO much fun!!

5. The Social Network OST - Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross. This just caught me off guard. But then anything Trent Reznor seems to put his hands on ends up being amazing. This album has not yet failed to help me think as well as be inspired and creative. He definitely added to an already really good movie.

4. The Ghost Who Walks - Karen Elson. you don't even know how much I didn't want to like this album; an album by a model married to one of my favorite guys. UGH! But my open minded curiosity allowed me to love it. It's really... good. A moody piece on love and life, I was really entertained by her voice and lyrics.I actually really want to see her now if she makes it out this way.

3. Stars & Stripes The White Stripes: Re Imagined - Adrian Champion - I just found this but he did what I've always wanted someone to do. Put Mos Def and Jack White together.

2. Sea of Cowards - The Dead Weather
I went to listening parties for the release of this album. I went to the shows. I got up early and went to the store on the release date and I BOUGHT REAL A CD! This album was a full body experience for me. True story. 



1. Brothers - The Black Keys. This album is just perfect what can I say?

*It makes me sad that this is limited to only music released in 2010 when I discover SO much during the year. Much of it is old, but it's always nice to see what's being made presently that draws from that which I keep crate digging for. Bring on 2011! I can't wait to hear what people come up with next (starting with Nicole Atkins in January)

honoraries:
Budos Band: iii
Macy Gray: The Sellout
(more to come probably)

2 comments:

Gov said...

AWESOME list.

I think I am going to make a list of albums I purchased, downloaded, was given in 2010. I'm curious as to how many are from the 60's or 70's that find their way on the list.

V* said...

Yeah I seriously can't keep a list like that. I guess I could look at "recently added" for the past year but wow. That would be a lot. That's EXACTLY why I narrowed this to albums that came out in 2010 lol I'd LOVE to see your list though!

By: TwitterButtons.com
By TwitterButtons.com